Family Balancing Act

As we usher in the new year, I am so happy to have my  daughter home from France, where she has spent the last semester. My son has already had multiple acceptances at colleges for next year, so this should be a no stress time, right? We had a family bonding week in Florida during the holidays that really brought us back together.

Tonight, due to my son’s insistence, we planned a Fondue dinner with some grass-fed beef we bought from a local farmer that he was dying to test. My daughter was trying to regain her figure after a semester of French cuisine – so the dining requirements were quite challenging. However, we set up a beautiful 2 pot fondue system -one with oil, the other with a broth. The oil was working well but the broth was underheated. My husband, the physicist, decide to up the ante and add a pot of alcohol to the broth heat source. Unfortunately, he spilled the alcohol and set the table on fire! I wish I had a picture to share, but obviously quick action was the priority. He grabbed the fire extinguisher-which we have not used in 20+ years and sprayed the fire which was rapidly spreading across our table. Ironically , over our vacation, we had tried to explain to our children how to use a fire extinguisher if there was ever a problem.

By the time he was done putting the flames out, our dinner was coated in white residue and there were burns on one of the placemats . The table had a permanent burn in the surface.  None of the food was considered edible.

Much to my son’s dismay, we threw everything out and decided to go to a restaurant. We chose one within 5 minutes of our house where we could each choose something to our dietary needs – and left satisfied and in a much better mood. However, we did have to come home to the remnants of our disaster.

Now that it is dealt with, I am happy to say all is good- but it is an extremely unusual way to usher in the new year.

Wishing you and yours a very happy and peaceful 2016!


7 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Wilma Hal
    Jan 02, 2016 @ 23:10:53

    Your understated way of telling this forces the reader to fill in the blanks of shouts screams flapping General hysteria and makes this a very funny and successful story since we know from the beginning tone that all is ok

    Sent from my iPhone




    • themiddlegeneration
      Jan 03, 2016 @ 09:54:49

      Actually, it all happened so quickly that I don’t think we had time to get hysterical. Probably the strongest emotion was our disappointment that our delicious meal we had been anticipating was ruined.



  2. Carol
    Jan 02, 2016 @ 23:18:21

    Ahhhhhh, but it is also a beginning you will never forget! Wishing you a year of enough.



  3. themiddlegeneration
    Jan 03, 2016 @ 09:55:54

    Yes, I think we learned that fondue and flambe don’t belong together! A good lesson for the new year.



  4. Looking Out The Window
    Jan 03, 2016 @ 17:13:59

    I so enjoyed your post, I was looking forward to reading about your family and this one did not disappoint. I am so glad that that it turned out well, though I must admit that reading it did bring both a grasp and laugh nearly at the same time.



  5. Donna Jonas
    Jan 04, 2016 @ 15:45:57

    So here I am in the Los Angeles airport lounge…with wi fi service at last!
    Wow …what a beginning to your New Year!
    This tale shared with others made this Nana shake with fear …then sigh with relief that all went well in the end.
    It also reminded me of a New Year’s Eve dinner some 40 years ago at the Lapkin home in Connecticut where dessert was cherries jubilee…lighted marinated cherries (thanks to heated brandy)are gracefully poured over cold vanilla ice cream.
    The “show” was spectacular until the flames decided to give us a show by flying down the table in a beautiful display that candles envied!

    Some ran from the scene and others participated in the task at hand.

    Won’t tell you what group I joined.

    Well all is well and that is what counts!

    Happy New Year to all!





    • themiddlegeneration
      Jan 04, 2016 @ 21:53:59

      Wow, it sounds like you have a story to tell as well. Glad you did not have any permanent scars (mental or otherwise). Even though I was not present, I will always remember the infamous Jonas story that, ironically also involved steak, where it was rinsed off and consumed but side effects such as numb lips and tongues, were experienced. Thankfully, Phil learned his lesson from that and forcefully threw everything out!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: